Friday, July 22, 2011

Pear Smothered Pork Chops

This was one of the first recipes I cooked that I loved after being diagnosed with IC and is a pantry staple now.   I had no experience cooking with pork before.  Learning how to cook new meats has really offered me variety in a diet that is so restrictive.   I got this recipe from the cookbook, A Taste of the Good Life by Beverley Laumann.  
Ingredients:
 2 center-cut pork loin chops
1/4 tsp ground sage
dash salt and pepper
2 large, firm-ripe pear (original recipe calls for 1, but I like lots of pears so used two)
2 Tbsp. unsulphured molasses
2 Tbsp flour
1 Cup water

Directions:
In a skillet, brown pork chops in olive oil, seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.  Remove chops to casserole dish.  Sprinkle sage on chops.  Peel and slice pear, placing slices on top of chops.  Combine flour with small amount of water to make a paste, then add to cup of water (about 2 Tbsp).  Add molasses to water and mix well.  Over low heat, pour liquid into hot skillet, scraping up browned bits of pork chops.  When slightly thickened, pour sauce over chops, cover, and bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment