Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Macaroni and Cheese

I'm not a huge Mac-n-Cheese fan, but my husband sure is.  Since boxed Mac-n-Cheese are out, I make this one from scratch when I want to make him happy.  You can use any IC-Friendly Cheese (like American).  I had a bunch of extra Mozzarella so I used that.   It wasn't as creamy of a cheese, but still tasted really good... and the hubs was very excited.   

Ingredients:

1 cup dried elbow macaroni (I used Penne cause that's what I had on hand)
1 teaspoon onion powder(if can tolerate)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese (or any IC Friendly Cheese)
1 Tsp Dried Parsley
2 Pinch Salt

Cook pasta in unsalted water about 10 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain well.

Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter and stir in onion powder and flour. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add American cheese, stirring until melted.  Add Parsley and Salt. Stir in cooked pasta. Transfer mixture to a 1-quart casserole dish.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 4 side dish servings.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe and it turned out delicious! The first time I made it with half American cheese and half mozzarella cheese. I found the gooey mozzarella texture complimented the flavor of the American cheese. I’ve made it several times subsequently with Monterey Jack cheese or Colby Monterey Jack since I too can’t tolerate aged cheeses like cheddar cheese. It came out really good each time. Thanks for sharing this easy recipe for IC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also forgot to mention I made mine Mac & Cheese with garlic powder since I can’t tolerate onion powder.

      Delete