Tuesday, June 28, 2011

IC Friendly Pesto

Pesto was one of my first inspiring discoveries after being diagnosed with IC.  It is so flavorful and can be used many different ways.   I found this recipe online here.  It doesn't make alot, but I've learned that a little goes a long way.   It also freezes well so I make double batches all the time to save up for winter.   Basil can be expensive so I bought a cheap basil plant that keeps me fully stocked all summer long.   I use this Pesto to make dips, spread on turkey sandwiches, in pasta dishes, and as a sauce on mini pizza's.   You will see it used often in my other recipes.

Ingredients:
4 Cups fresh basil leaves (about 2 large bunches) need not dry them
1/3 Cup packed fresh chopped parsley, need not dry them
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
5 Cloves Garlic (sometimes I add more, love garlic!)
1/3  Cup lightly toasted Pine Nuts
1/4 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese (leave out if you can't handle)
1 1/2 teaspoon Pink Rock Salt
1/2 teaspoon Lemon Oil
1/4 teaspoon Lemon Zest
4 Tbsp Melted Butter
Pinch Nutmeg

Toasting the Pine Nuts:
Place the Pine Nuts on a cookie sheet.  Place in a 400 degree oven and toss several times until Nuts are light golden brown, about 5-6 minutes.

Directions:
Combine first all ingredients and blend until past forms.  You'll probably have to stop often to push the basil down to the bottom.   Enjoy!   Can freeze up to 6 months.

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend with IC and trying to find recipes to make for her. I thought a regular store-bought pesto would be okay to use because it doesn't appear to contain anything to avoid. Is that not the case?

    ReplyDelete