Thursday, October 10, 2013

Cheesy Chicken Pasta & Broccoli Skillet

I'm on a new recipe kick... two more to try.   I'm excited that this one was a huge hit!!!!  Now I'm preggo (and in preggo induced remission) so I stuck with the original recipe.  However, there are a only a couple minor modifications I'll make to it post-baby that I don't think will change the taste much.   Would actually probably lower the calories, ha!!  I'm posting both the original and modified version.   I found this recipe in the Taste of Home Cooking Magazine.   Major props to them!!!!
Ingredients:
4 Cups Spiral Pasta (I used the colored Garden style, I would recommend the regular kind for ICers)
2 Cups fresh broccoli florets
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 1/4 Cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp Butter
1/2 Cup half & half
4 oz Velveeta, cubed  (unknown if this is IC safe, but it doesn't bother me...feel free to substitute with a cheese you can tolerate )
1 Tbsp garlic-herb seasoning blend (this has a small amount of red pepper and paprika in it.  to be safe, substitue: 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp oregano, 1tsp rosemary, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp dried minced onion, 1/4 tsp orange peel)
1/4 tsp salt
3 cooked chicken breasts (I cooked mine with a bit of seasoning above)
1/2 Cup shredded mild cheddar cheese (on the maybe list, omit if it bothers you)

Directions:
1.  In a large saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
2.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk flour and broth until smooth.  In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; stir in broth mixture.  Add half & half.  Bring to a boil;  cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened.  Add velveeta, seasonings, and salt;  stir until mixture is smooth.
3.  Add the chicken and the pasta mixture; heat through, stirring occasionally.  Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheddar cheese.  Let stand covered 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Makes 4 servings.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog from the IC Network. I'm so glad to find you! You have a great list of recipes, and I can't wait to try them! I've really been getting tired of eating the same foods over and over... Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed with IC 8 years ago. That was the first time i found your blog...but my computer crashed and i didn't have the link to any of your recipes backed up. I literally cried when i realized i had to start over. 8 years later and i have FINALLY found your blog again. <3 my heart is so happy!

    ReplyDelete